All courier services, third-party representatives, attorney services and messengers must drop off Deeds, Deed of Trust, Leases, and Notice of Default submitted for recording. Documents will be ready for pick-up within 3 business days.
An examiner will review submitted document for proper completion, collect the appropriate fees and taxes, and record your document. The original document will be mailed to you within 4 to 6 weeks (after we complete the process of adding your document to our database for archival retention).
A certified copy for a fee of $6 for the first page and $3 for each additional page may be requested and received immediately upon recordation of the document.
All applicable fees must be paid at the time of recording.
Document Recording Requirements
Each document presented for recording must include or comply with the following general requirements.
Requirements for recording:
- The property must be located in Los Angeles County. (C.C. § 1169)
- The document must be authorized or required by law to be recorded. (G.C. § 27201)
- Signatures must be original unless the document is a certified copy issued by the appropriate custodian of the public record. (G.C. § 27201b, G.C. § 27279, Evidence Code § 1530)
- Include the name of the party requesting the recording and a name and address where the document can be returned. (G.C. § 27361.6)
- The document must be properly acknowledged, unless exempt. California requires an (all-purpose acknowledgement). (G.C. §27201, 27289, 27285, 27287, 27288; C.C. § 1189)
- The Assessor's Parcel Number is required on notice of default, notice of trustee's sale, deeds, trust deeds and mortgages. (G.C. § 27297.6)
- The notary seal must be legible for a microfilm reproduction. (G.C. § 8207)
- When recording documents affecting a change in the ownership of real property, include a completed Preliminary Change of Ownership Report. These forms can be obtained from the County Assessor’s Office as well as the County Clerk-Recorder's Office.
- Documents must be clearly legible in order to produce a readable photographic record. This pertains to the document text, notary seals, certificates and other attachments, such as legal descriptions. (Gov. 27361.7)
- Include the recording fees. Payment can be made by cash, personal check, cashier's check, money order, or the following debit/credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover.
Make checks payable to:
L.A. County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
P.O. Box 1250
Norwalk, CA 90651-1250.
Standard page size is 8.5 by 11 inches. Other page sizes incur additional recording fees. For recording space requirements, the first page of the document must reserve a minimum of 2.5 inches down from the top of the page, of which the left 3.5 inches across is used by the party requesting recording to enter name and address to which the document is to be returned following recording. The remainder of this space is reserved for use by the Registrar-Recorder to enter the official recording information.
With regard to the vertical sides of the page, a minimum of 0.5 inches must be left blank on each side of the document. If the first page of a document does not comply with these legal requirements, attach a separate page to the front of the document that meets these spacing criteria and which includes the title or titles of the document.
For more information on the recording process, call (800) 201-8999.