Skip to Content
[Page Content]

Unlawful Detainer Assistant - Individual

The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk has closed all offices to the public as a precautionary measure to help slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). If you wish to renew or apply for a Unlawful Detainer Assistant – Individual please complete the following steps:

  1. Please select the type of Unlawful Detainer Assistant registration you are renewing, print out and complete your form entirely
  2. Mail in the completed form along with your payment and a color passport photo, picture of your valid ID, and the below requirements to:

    Business Filing and Registration

    PO Box 1208

    Norwalk, CA 90650-1208


  3. We will renew your registration and send you a temporary ID Card.Once we open you must make an appointment to get a replacement card that has your new photo and signature.

Unlawful Detainer Assistant registration is required in each county where the services are performed.

How to Apply

The Individual Registration as Unlawful Detainer Assistant application can be completed at one of our kiosks in the main Norwalk office. You can make an appointment by calling (800)201-8999, please arrive 15 minutes earlier to complete your application. Appointments are made: Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm, NO SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS.

The registrant must appear in person and meet the following requirements:
  • Possess a valid, government-issued picture identification (established by a birth certificate, such as a driver’s license or passport).
  • Present a bond in the amount of $25,000 naming the registrant as principal providing the term of the bond, two (2) years, commencement date and expiration date.
  • Must not be disqualified to register based on the information provided on the application, pursuant to Business and Professions Code § 6402 & 6403(c)(3), (c)(4), (c)(5) & (c)(6).


To be eligible to renew registration, registrant shall complete 15 hours of continuing legal education courses during the two-year period preceding renewal.

Search for a Certificate of Registration for an Unlawful Detainer Assistant by Mail

District offices do not process mail requests. Submit mail requests for a search of certificate of registration for Unlawful Detainer Assistant to:

Business Fillings and Registration
P.O. Box 1208
Norwalk, CA 90650-1208

Include the following information:

    1) Unlawful Detainer Assistant name.

    2) Non-refundable search fee of $5 per name by check or money order payable to the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk. If a search reveals the exisence of a registration, a certified copy is $2 per document.

    Note: We will not accept E-Checks, temporary checks or foreign checks (with the exception of Canada and Mexico) for any Recorder/County Clerk services. If an E-Check, temporary or foreign check is received, the request will be rejected and sent back to the submitter requesting a new method of payment.

    3) Stamped, self addressed return envelope.

There is a $5 search fee in person if conducted by a deputy clerk. If a search reveals the existence of a registration, a certified copy is $2 per document.

Note: Pictures for temporary and/or permanent identification cards will be taken at the time of registration in the office.

Individual Unlawful Detainer Assistant Registration Fees

Service Fee

Individual Unlawful Detainer Assistant Registration

(includes the recording/filing fee of a single-sided, single-page bond, but may vary)

Each additional page of the bond $3
Replacement identification cards $10
[Original Content]
Alert - COVID-19

The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk will close all of its offices to the public effective Monday, March 16 as a precautionary measure to help slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, all mail and online orders are experiencing processing delays. Thank you for your patience and please click here for updated information regarding COVID-19.