Skip to Content
[Page Content]

Property Document Recording FAQs

Property Document Recording FAQs

How do I take someone off title who has passed away?
  • Obtain and complete the Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant form. This form can also be obtained from a stationary store.
  • The completed form needs to be accompanied by a certified or informational copy of the Death Certificate from the County Recorder in the county where the death occurred. The affidavit needs to be signed by the declarant under penalty of perjury and/or have a subscribed and sworn statement or Jurat, not an all purpose acknowledgement.
How do you take someone off title?

State law prohibits this department from engaging in legal advice. You will need to contact your legal adviser for assistance in this matter.

What do I need to record a Deed?
  • Download and print the Grant Deed Form. A Deed can also be obtained from a stationary store.
  • Deed requires a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report at the time of filing. A $20 penalty will be charged per Assessor/Recorder agreement.
Why did the County Recorder put a lien against me?

When a document is recorded that might create an involuntary lien on real property, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's Office (RR/CC) is required by law to notify the persons affected. Notification is sent to the name on the address on the recorded document prepared by the party claiming the lien. The RR/CC is not involved nor has any knowledge of the circumstances that result in the filing. All questions regarding the lien should be directed to the party filing the lien.

What are the recording fees?

Please click here for a complete listing of our recording fees.

What is a Homestead?

A homestead helps protect you from losing your house to people to whom you owe money. Homestead law protects a certain amount of the value of your home from being taken to pay a judgement.

How do I compute Documentary Transfer Tax?
  • The County of Los Angeles tax rate is $0.55 per $500.
  • The City of Los Angeles and Culver City tax rate is $4.50 per each $1000.
  • The City of Pomona and Redondo Beach tax rate is $2.20 per each $1000.
  • The City of Santa Monica tax rate is $3.00 per each $1000.

The above mentioned cities require a County of Los Angeles tax and the applicable city tax.

What is a Notice of Pendency Action-Lis Pendens?

A Notice of Lis Pendens is a document recorded to evidence a pending court action concerning or affecting the title or the right of possession of real property.

Can I pay my property taxes at the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's office?

Property taxes are not paid through the RR/CC office but through the Los Angeles County Treasurer and Tax Collector's Office.

They may be contacted at:


225 North Hill Street

Room 122

Los Angeles, CA 90012



(213) 893-7935


Can I get forms from the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's office?

Forms can be obtained on our PROPERTY DOCUMENT RECORDING page, at a stationary store, or from your legal adviser.

[Original Content]
Alert - COVID-19

The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk will close all of its offices to the public effective Monday, March 16 as a precautionary measure to help slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, all mail and online orders are experiencing processing delays. Thank you for your patience and please click here for updated information regarding COVID-19.